An industry-focused course aimed at Producers and Assistant Producers looking to make the move into directing, or new producers and filmmakers looking to gain the knowhow and knowledge needed for making documentary films for television, online or theatrical release. This course will be taught remotely with 4 x 2 hour weekly webinar sessions and some online assignments.
Led by Katie Buchanan, an RTS Broadcast and Grierson winning Executive Producer with over 25 years experience, it will offer practical and relevant tools such as how to present yourself and your ideas, how to think like a director, shooting for the edit and the importance of story.
- CV Workshop – how to make your CV work for you. We’ll explore how to structure your CV and present your experience so it speaks to what broadcasters and production companies are looking for.
- Pitching your own idea – you know you’ve got a great idea, but how do you persuade other people? We’ll examine what goes into a successful pitch and how to write treatments that jump off the page.
- Finding contributors and building relationships. From street-casting to negotiating access to institutions, how do you persuade people to be in your film and what is the psychology behind maintaining relationships?
- What happens in your film? What is your story? What do you want viewers to think and feel? We’ll explore different methods of building narrative in documentaries.
- The director’s eye. Being clear about your approach – is this an authored film? How is it shot? What effects are you hoping to convey and how do you achieve them?
- Shooting for the edit. Much more than just making sure you’ve got cutaways! We’ll go through how to plan a shoot so you have what you need when you enter the edit.
- Storytelling in the edit. Knowing how to produce a story in the edit is key. With some viewing set for homework, we’ll break down each film into its constituent parts – how many stories, what length of time does each story take up, how long does each scene last.
- Troubleshooting. Every film runs into trouble at some point or other and the edit is where these problems come home to roost! Analysing some real examples we’ll explore what the director might have done to get themselves out of a tricky place.
This course will be delivered via online distance learning, and students will require a computer or other internet connected device.
This course takes place across 4 Thursday evenings (7pm to 9pm) from 3rd to 24th November.
1x Universal Credit bursary place is available for this course. Please see our bursary policy here.
If you’d like to be notified about this course’s next running dates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +442031084774.
Led by RTS Broadcast and Grierson-winning Executive Producer Katie Buchanan, this 8-week course will give you the knowledge needed for making documentary films for broadcast, online or theatrical release.