Assembly, a project-based intensive workshop for international filmmakers working on their first or second feature, takes place this weekend, leading into Open City Documentary Festival next week.
Having announced the participants back in June, we are now pleased to confirm the mentors that will be assigned to each project. They will provide one-to-one mentoring for their assigned participant, alongside the workshop programme and other activities.
- Curiua Catu (Portugal). Director: Pedro Lino. Producers: Pablo Iraola, Pandora da Cunha Telles,
Mentor: Laura Huertas Millan, French-Colombian filmmaker (El Laberinto, La Libertad, Sol Negro)
- I am Sarah, with an H (UK). Director: Charly Feldman. Producer: Anna von Dziembowska.
Mentor: Sophie Fiennes, filmmaker (The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema, Over Your Cities Grass Will Grow, Grace Jones; Bloodlight and Bami), and teacher.
- Land of Women (Egypt). Director: Nada Riyadh. Producer: Ayman El Amir.
Mentor: Emma Davie, filmmaker (Becoming Animal, I Am Breathing), story editor/consultant, and lecturer in documentary film.
- NAZ (UK). Directors: Ana Naomi de Sousa & Omar El-Khairy. Producer: Elhum Shakerifar.
Mentor: Maya Mumma, editor (O.J. Made in America, Restrepo, Which Way Is The Front Line From Here)
- Nowhere Near (USA). Director: Miko Revereza. Producer: Shireen Seno.
Mentor: Alia Syed, artist filmmaker (On A Wing And A Prayer, Points of Departure) born in Wales and based between London and Glasgow
- Radio Blackout (UK). Director: Matt Houghton. Producer: Alistair Payne-James.
Mentor: Sierra Pettengill. Brooklyn based filmmaker (Graven Image, The Reagan Show), writer and archivist.
- The Inventory (Mexico). Director: Ilana Coleman. Producer: Jamie Gonçalves.
Mentor: Mohsen Makhmalbaf. Iranian director, writer and producer (Salam Cinema, A Moment of Innocence, The Silence)
Assembly aims to create a space for filmmakers to develop and strengthen their projects in order to support emerging voices in non-fiction storytelling. Participants will also be able to attend screenings, talks and networking events as part of Open City Documentary Festival 2019.