Course dates are 7-9pm on the 9th of February and from 10-5pm on the 10th and 11th February.
In this short course, you will learn how to direct and tell stories in 360 documentaries. The course is designed for students who have a filmmaking background and who are interested in entering a more immersive space with their work. The course is taught over a weekend through a series of lectures and workshops that increase in complexity over the course of the weekend.
1) A hands-on viewing workshop in which you will view critically acclaimed 360 documentaries to familiarize yourself with the language of 360.
2) Storytelling in 360: In this second lecture and integrated workshop, you will learn how to view the world through a 360 lens, focusing on what works and does not. The lecture will focus on the principals of 360 storytelling, what is different compared to traditional filmmaking and how to source a story which works for this medium.
3) Storytelling structure for 360: Students will learn how to structure their narratives based on 360 characters led case studies.
4) Cinematography in 360: The focus will be on 360 camera composition and where to best position the camera in a 360 environment so as to aid your particular story.
5) Directing in 360: You will learn how to direct in 360. This includes looking at different approaches to form within 360 and how to find your authorial voice within the medium.
Who this course is for:
This course is suitable for beginners. Students must have a basic foundation in a creative medium such as photography, or traditional film
Taking this course you'll:
Have a strong understanding of how to recalibrate the mind so as to look at stories through a 360 lens.
You'll have unique access to an award-winning immersive documentary filmmaker who will share personal insights on the 360 process and how to transition from a traditional art for to one that is more immersive.
have access to use the media lab and editing software at UCL after the course has finished
By the end of this course you'll have an understanding of how to:
How to tell stories in 360.
Understand how to create cinematography that is suitable for 360.
How to direct in 360.